Keep your hands free and your towel in place at the beach, pool, or getting ready in the morning with this 20 minute DIY Towel Cover Up.
What you’ll need:
- Sewing Machine
- 1 inch elastic
- Sew on elastic
- Towel: Make sure it wraps fully around you with generous overlap
- Large safety pin or diaper pin
- Coordinating thread in your machine
I purchased the towel, elastic, velcro, and diaper pins at Walmart but if you prefer shopping from the comfort of your couch, I pulled some Amazon links for ya.
(These are affiliate links which means Amazon gives me $ – no cost to you- if you shop through my link)
- Take your elastic out of it’s package and measure it around your body where the towel will sit.
- Cut elastic to length and set aside.
- With the towel laying horizontally (the long way) fold the top edge over 1.5″ the whole width and secure with pins.
- Stitch all the way across the width closest to the bottom edge of the fold- creating a “tube” the elastic will fit through.
- Measure the overlap and mark it. (My measurement was approx. 14 inches on each side)
- Secure one end of the elastic with the diaper pin and “feed” it into the tube you created. The diaper pin helps you feel where the elastic is while it travels through.
- Once the end of the elastic ( the end that does NOT have a diaper pin )has reached your overlap measurement, secure it through the towel with a separate pin.
- Feed the elastic through until the diaper pin comes out the other side.
- Carefully gather the towel and cut excess elastic.
- Remove diaper pin but do NOT let go of elastic until you’re holding on to the elastic that is IN the towel “tube.”
- Slowly bring the elastic into the towel until it reaches your overlap measurement.
- Secure through towel and elastic with the diaper pin.
- Stitch each end of the elastic. Make sure to backstitch to secure the treads.
- Cut the velcro to your overlap measurement.
- Pin the hook piece (rough side) to UNDERSIDE of one overlap and the Loop piece (the rough side) to the FRONT of the other overlap.
- BEFORE you sew this down, “try on” the towel to make sure it fits comfortable and that you have pinned the velcro to the correct sides.
- Sew around all 4 edges of each velcro piece.
- Do a Happy Dance!
*NOTE* You may want to consider adding a bit of velcro approx. halfway down the towel if you are using this cover up to get ready in the morning. (Meaning you’re covering up MORE than just a bathing suit.)
Here’s the FB Live I did showing all the steps!